Difference in imported AutoCad DXF files in KLayout 0.25.2 vs 0.24.10

edited April 2018 in General
Hi,

I am having some issues importing DXF files generated in AutoCad 2018 in KLayout 0.25.2. Upon importing a DXF file which contains nested AutoCad blocks, version 0.24.10 correctly imports the entire drawing and all polygons are displayed as expected. However, in 0.25.2, only the top block(s) of the nested block structure appears. KLayout correctly lists all blocks as cells in the hierarchy in both cases, but nested blocks appear to be empty in 0.25.2. The only way to get all polygons to appear in 0.25.2 is to "burst" all blocks in AutoCad, reducing the file to polylines only. Please see the test case and side-by-side comparison of the two cases linked below.

Does anyone know what causes this difference in import behaviour? Is there a setting in KLayout to change it? In my case, the behaviour of 0.24.10 is preferable - I don't want to burst all blocks every time I import a DXF file.

One interesting note: the test DXF file loads correctly in 0.25.2 after it is saved in KLayout (of either version).

Any help is much appreciated.

/James

DXF file: https://file.town/download/1zt0c74w84jfhmrgdtb1n72ed
Screenshot comparison: https://file.town/download/vfmogc5y9m5gmde7vg6mdnmby

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi James,

I'm very interested in this testcase, but the URL you gave gives a timeout :-(

Maybe you can send it to the mail address listed on Contacts page (as attachment, if not too big)?

Thanks,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

I have emailed the relevant files to you. Thanks in advance.

/James
  • edited November -1

Hi James,

thank you for your testcase. I found the issue.

I wasn't a data loss. Instead, the bounding box of the PADFRAMESMALL cell wasn't computed correctly. The reason is a somewhat exotic case of indirect layer specialization of a cell. So when you save the file, the bboxes get recomputed and everything is fine.

BTW: I noticed the subcells should be named VIA_0 and VIA_1. Instead they are called like the PADFRAMESMALL cell itself.

Anyway: I was able to fix this and the cell naming issue. I will release that with the next minor release.

Thanks again for the test case and best regards,

Matthias