KLayout Python Module from PyPI.org in Windows 10

Hi All,

I tried out the KLayout module from PyPI.org (https://pypi.org/project/klayout/) and it did install on Ubuntu. It needs a dependency (the file tlHttpStreamCurl.o) which is in the package libcurl4-gnutls-dev which I had to install first. It would be good in the wheel creation script to check for this dependency before starting to compile (the compilation takes a while).

Also, I did the same in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) for Windows 10 (which essentially is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and the results were not suprisingly the same.

In the next release of PyCharm (2018.3, pro version only) it will be possible to run PyCharm on Windows but use a Python interpreter on the WSL side (but then of course all Python modules have to be there too).
This is interesting because it means that the Python module for the Windows side (Anaconda or msys2 or Cygwin or Windows 10 with the Visual C++ compiler) then is no longer strictly needed to run KLayout in Python on Windows 10.

Thanks for the work, I think it is enabling more options on Windows now for the people who are stuck there.

Best regards, Erwin

Comments

• Hi Erwin,

I'm currently building a native PyPI module for Anaconda/Python3.6/MSVC2017. So you may not need WSL.

And yes, there is a dependency on curl, expat and zlib. Setuptools/disutils are very painful to deal with and everyone seems to hack around the limitations of it's build environment. So please don't expect a lot of convenience there.

Regards,

Matthias